Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Frequently Asked Questions
Share |


Frequently Asked Questions

We get a lot of questions about the practice of Occupational Therapy and what MOTA can do for you!

Here are a few of the more common questions:


1.  I am moving to Montana and I want to be licensed in the state.  What do I need to do?


Answer:  Go to this website to get the answer:


2.  I just got married and I changed my name.  How do I update this information for my OT license?




3.  I want to get my superficial and deep modalities certifications.  What steps do I need to take?


Answer: Visit the State Board of OT website, MOTA offers SPAM continuing education and some of the deep modality (Ionto) in our online CEU videos.

Please click on the link below to be directed to the Board of Occupational Therapy Practice:

MT Board of Occupational Therapy Practice

Specific questions may be directed to the Board at:
301 South Park, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Contact Information

For information on applications and licensing contact
Phone: (406) 444-5711

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Rita Reichert, Compliance Specialist
Phone: (406) 841-2319

For information on continuing education:
Phone: (406) 444-5696

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact:
Phone: (406) 444-6880

Board Management: L'Joy Griebenow, Executive Officer
Phone: (406) 841-2258

Superficial Physical Agent Modalities

  • Deep Physical Agent Modalities

    4.  I am a graduate student and I would like to send out an online survey.  Will MOTA send out the survey for me?


    Answer:  Yes.  We will also post them on the website for anyone to access.  Please go to the website and click on "Contact Us."  We will respond to your email within one week.


    5.  How can I contact MOTA?




      • General Questions relating to MOTA:  Lisa Lowery, President
      • Conference or scholarship Questions relating to  MOTA: Paula Kitzenberg, Vice President 
      • Membership Questions relating to  MOTA:  Shirley Leo, Secretary
      • Financial Questions relating to MOTA:  Mary Krenik, Treasurer 


    6.  Are there any occupational therapy schools in Montana?


    Answer:  Yes.  There currently are 2 OTD programs: Rocky Mountain College & University of Mary, both are located in Billings, MT.  

    7.  Do I have to live in the state to be part of MOTA?


    Answer:  No.  You can live in any state and still be an active member of MOTA.


    8.  How much continuing education is required in Montana? 


    Answer:10 CEU's are required per year.  See the State Board of OT website for more specific information or to find out if specific courses will be approved



    9.  Does my MOTA membership renew every calendar year or a year from the date I got my membership?


    Answer:  MOTA membership is based on the calendar year (January 1 - December 31).  If you renew after October 1, your membership will automatically be applied to next year's membership.


    10.  Is TELEHEALTH allowed in Montana?.


    In speaking with AOTA regarding telehealth and compact Licensure (to allow telehealth across jurisdictional (state) boundaries similar to nursing)  we found that AOTA does not yet have a foundation and support in place to assist state boards with model statutory or rule language to start this process. The national physical therapy association (FSBPT) and the national medical association (FSMB) have this support in place and are actively assisting state boards to develop telehealth legislation and licensing compacts between states.


    In the last legislative session the legislature approved insurance payments for telehealth services by OT’s (and other professions) and this can be found in:


    11. What are the supervision requirements for COTA's in the state of MT?


    There are no special rules or restrictions for the supervision of COTA's in MT, general supervision is

    all that is required. MT Board of OT's statute can be found here:

    "Certified occupational therapy assistant" means a person licensed to assist in the practice of occupational therapy under this chapter, who works under the general supervision of an occupational therapist in accordance with the provisions of the national board for certification in occupational therapy, inc., and adopted by the board.



    Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal